We, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them. Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with filial affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality. Romans 12:5-6a, 9-13
Top Ten Things to Know About Advent
10. Advent is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
9. Advent Lutheran and Community of Hope, a United Church in Christ congregation, are in a partnership called Madison Christian Community.
8. A variety of worship settings are used and the congregation can sing in four part harmony.
7. The use of inclusive language in worship is valued.
6. Families with young children are welcome at worship and children may receive Holy Communion at an early age.
5. Advent is a Reconciling in Christ congregation meaning that the congregation has gone "on the record," in openly welcoming gays and lesbians.
4. A "culture of commitment" is fostered by the practice of renewing membership annually.
3. People of Advent are not threatened by change and seek new ways of being faithful to God.
2. Members of Advent are scattered throughout the greater Madison area
1. Members of Advent are encouraged to identify their spiritual gifts and use them in service.